MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022
Since 2013, MAX IV Laboratory awards one PhD work of outstanding quality. We also give the opportunity for the PhD student to gain visibility for their work, facilitating their integration into a wider research community and allowing them to initiate and develop the network within the synchrotron radiation research community.
For a nominated candidate to be eligible for the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
- The work in the thesis must be relevant to MAX IV, i.e., the work must be based fully or partially on research performed at MAX-lab or MAX IV laboratory, across any discipline, method, technique, or application of synchrotron radiation.
- The thesis must be successfully defended during the period: 26 July 2021 – 26 July 2022.
- The winner of the PhD Thesis award agrees to present their PhD work (15-minute presentation + 5-minute questions session) at the User Meeting.
- The nomination documentation must be completed and submitted by 23:59 (CET) Tuesday, 6th September 2022.
We encourage the award-eligible PhD to register their own nomination with the support of their supervisor or another relevant senior researcher who is familiar with their work. Alternatively, a supervisor or relevant senior researcher can also submit a nomination on behalf of the award eligible PhD.
The following steps and documentation are required to complete the nomination:
- The award-eligible PhD student should register for the MAX IV User Meeting 2022, latest 15 September 2022 at 23:59 (CET)
- The award-eligible PhD student OR their supervisor must complete and submit the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022 Nomination Form.docx for the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022. The deadline to submit the nomination is by Tuesday, 6 September 2022 at 23:59 (CET). All nominations should be sent by email to with the subject heading “MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022”.
- Prepare and submit the following material:
- The completed MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022 Nomination Form.docx. The purpose of this form is to help us assess the thesis and the work.
- Include a letter of support from a relevant senior academic (for example, the candidate’s supervisor, head of department or other relevant senior researcher who has experience of the candidate and their work).
- Include a PDF copy or a link to the PhD thesis. In addition, MAX IV would greatly appreciate it if the PhD thesis is also uploaded to the DUO system.
The PhD Thesis will be evaluated by a Review Committee appointed by the MAX IV User Office and supported by the MAX IV management.
The evaluation guideline criteria are as follows:
- The quality and impact of the work within the context of the field.
- The quality and capability of the candidate based on the thesis manuscript and associated published work.
- The contribution of the PhD student to the research work in their PhD thesis (as indicated by the “Authors contributions” information provided in the thesis and in the submitted list of associated publications).
Decision and award
The winner of the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2022 will give an oral presentation on their PhD research at the MAX IV User Meeting on Wednesday, 5 October 2022. The award includes a monetary prize, the equivalent of 5000 SEK.
All participants will be informed as to whether their nomination has been successful at least one week before the user meeting. The selected PhD graduate will be contacted for further arrangements regarding their presentation.
The winner of the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award will be formally announced at the User Meeting banquet on Tuesday, 4 October 2022.